Going to start studying for my CCNA..only 2 years late

I before E, except after CCIE. For general certification discussions.

Going to start studying for my CCNA..only 2 years late

Postby jeffhassig » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:10 pm

:)

Gonna start studying for the exam during my downtime at (gasp) work. Your guides better not fail me Aaron!
jeffhassig

Re: Going to start studying for my CCNA..only 2 years late

Postby aaronbalchunas » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:28 pm

Good luck, sir!

Do you have any equipment/simulation software to hone your configuration skills? I don't remember if your book came with Cisco's Packet Tracer or not.

You'll need some testing software too. Boson is good, but expensive. Self Test Software isn't awful either.

Good to hear from you, and stay in touch.

- Aaron

P.S. How are you enjoying the job, Richie Rich?
aaronbalchunas
Site Admin

Postby jeffhassig » Tue Mar 29, 2011 9:52 am

I've got a copy of Packer Tracer on my PC at home. I've messed around with it in the past but I'm gonna take it a little bit more seriously. As far as testing software, I'll have to search around a bit. I'm pretty sure the books came with some.

The job is great! I'm trying to move up within the company as they've offered a few positions to internal staff, and I noticed they look for CCNA/MCSA so I'm going to try and tackle the CCNA first and see where I'm at after that. I'm very happy with the position and the company as a whole.
jeffhassig

Postby xxl3ww » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 pm

Do you think the 26xx routers are still sufficient for training? How many should I get? Should I also buy a switch? I recently bought the 2 book CCNA Official Exam Certification Library. Since the CCNA is now split into two exams, do you recommend taking the CCENT first?
xxl3ww

Postby aaronbalchunas » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:57 am

2600 routers are still sufficient for practice, in my opinion. Cisco's Packet Tracer is another good option for practicing labs/commands - and may be preferable due to its flexibility. Some people prefer using the actual hardware though.

Using a switch (physical or simulated) is a must. VLAN, VTP, and STP concepts and commands are covered on the CCNA.

Whether you take the CCNA as one exam or two would depend on your experience. If you have limited exposure to networking and the Cisco command line, I would take the CCNA as two exams - the first being a more advanced version of Network+, and the second focusing more on the command-line. For more experienced engineers who have basic networking down cold, I would save the money and take it as one exam.

Good luck in your studies, and on your exam!

- Aaron
aaronbalchunas
Site Admin

Postby dsquare360 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 9:09 am

I hope you understand the difference between the words "late" and "latest"..
beware the bareness of busy life..
dsquare360

Return to Phase 1: Collect Certifications. Phase 2: ??? Phase 3: Profit.