The Big Oil-Painting

For discussions and questions related to Routing guides and labs on routeralley.com.

The Big Oil-Painting

Postby hallai » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:53 am

First you need a place to work that has good ventilation. You shouldn’t use this stuff in your bedroom or somewhere where small children will get their fingers into it. Your studio space also has to be protected from paint, if you care about the furniture. Use a drop-cloth if you are working on the kitchen table.
Last edited by hallai on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallai

Re: The Big Oil-Painting

Postby flexiblebear » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 am

You will need some means to prop up your painting. An easel with small table next to it is one possible setup. Easels are expensive, however, so instead I have a wooden box that came loaded with a beginner’s set of oils, to which I clip my painting while I work. (The box and my studio setup are below.) I often pack up the box and take it outside, where I work sitting on the ground. At any rate, you will need some way to prop your painting up in front of you – something stable, because a painting face-down on the carpet is a sad, sad thing.
flexiblebear

Postby hallai » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:54 am

flexiblebear wrote:You will need some means to prop up your painting. An easel with small table next to it is one possible setup. Easels are expensive, however, so instead I have a wooden box that came loaded with a beginner’s set of oils, to which I clip my painting while I work. (The box and my studio setup are below.) I often pack up the box and take it outside, where I work sitting on the ground. At any rate, you will need some way to prop your painting up in front of you – something stable, because a painting face-down on the carpet is a sad, sad thing.

You will need some place to put wet paintings. A bulletin board is good for this, if it’s stable. What I have is a sheet of homosote (a sort of cork-board material) that I bought at Home Depot. I had them chop it into pieces small enough to get into my car, and I painted them white with house paint to look pretty. But you don’t need to get even this fancy. Just prop up your finished painting against a wall where people and pets won’t run into it. Don’t leave wet paintings laying flat, however, because dust will settle on the painting and become a part of it as the surface dries.
Last edited by hallai on Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
hallai

Postby flexiblebear » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:55 am

A palette. Almost any non-absorbent flat surface will do. You can wrap tinfoil around cardboard if you want. However, I suggest at the beginning getting either a disposable palette tablet, or a sheet of masonite or a masonite palette. Later you can upgrade to something more fancy like a wooden palette or a sheet of glass. What is most important is that you have lots of room to mix colors.
flexiblebear

Postby cevawhicker » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:55 am

The cheapest option is to use jelly jars with lids. Pour a little solvent into the bottom of one jar. Use it to thin your paints and clean your brushes (which isn’t necessary all that often, if you wipe the paint out of the brushes between colors). Put a lid on it when not in use. When that solvent gets yucky, pout it into the second jar. Let the gunk settle to the bottom, and pour off the reasonably clear stuff back into your first jar to use again.
cevawhicker

Postby EugeneGray » Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:47 am

Get the best dissertation proposal writing help from the experts of Students Assignment Help and at a low price. Our industry expert offers the reliable https://awriter.org/essay-writing-services/
to the students.
EugeneGray

Return to Routing